Before I get to the review, here's how my lashes look without any mascara. They're relatively thick, have a curl, but are not overly long.
Maybelline Great Lash - Lots of Lashes
Apparently the original Great Lash is one of Maybelline's most popular mascaras, but to tell you the truth I wasn't that impressed with the original one when I tried it years and years ago. I felt that it was too wet and made my lashes clump together. This however, yes please!
- The wand design is very interesting, the narrow tip making it easy to get to the outer corner lashes I otherwise miss with a normal brush.
- The formula was still a tad wet, but after 3 or so days it thickened up and holds onto lashes beautifully.
- I feel it gives great length, and thickens somewhat as well.
- With 2 coats it made my lashes clump together, but I was able to separate it with the third coat by wiggling the wand in between the clumped lashes.
Maybelline One By One Volum' Express
I've been a fan of the original Volum' Express mascaras so I was very excited to try this one, in fact more excited than LOL. But... hmmm...
- I was impressed with the length it gave my lashes, even with just one coat, but instead of giving my lashes volume and thickness this clumped them together and made it difficult to separate.
- It also left my lashes looking a bit spiky on the ends, and left them feeling crunchy.
- I found it difficult to get to the outer corner lashes without smudging because the wand was too thick for it.
- Overall I prefer the original Volum' Express, the ones in the blue tube.
The best way I've found to way these mascaras is by layering them over each other. I use One by One first to get length, then I use LOL to add thickness and give the corner lashes a nice coating. Together they work absolutely beautifully at giving me thick and long lashes.
I pretty much only ever use drugstore mascaras as I don't believe in paying upwards of $50AUD for brand name mascaras which will only last me 3 months max. So I'm glad to have found Great Lash LOL as I can add it to my list of other drugstore mascaras I frequently buy (the others are Covergirl Lashblast, Max Factor False Lash Effect, and Maybelline The Falsies).
Have you tried either of these mascaras? What's your favourite drugstore mascara?
Disclaimer: PR samples sent for review. I'm not paid to blog.